Blogging tips

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

.When our Family Becomes our god.

I love my family. I love my children. I love my husband. I love my ministry of being a wife, mommy, and homemaker. But do I love God more? It is easy to say yes, of course I do. But do my actions really show that?

Luke 14:26 says
If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. Those are some pretty hard words to swallow. But what Jesus is saying is that we should love Him so much that all of our other relationships pale in comparison and look like hate next to our love for God and His Son.

Over and over on my blog I have emphasized family and my children, and in doing so I fear there is a danger to emphasizing this one thing to the exclusion of other things. And I do not want this to be so. I do not want anyone to read my blog or to speak to me and get the idea that placing family over God is okay, because that is just not so. I see a dangerous trend happening in homeschooling families, and God has been opening my eyes to it. I am thankful for that. This post is not written to condemn or judge others, I cannot see the intent of hearts. I am merely sharing what I have outwardly seen and what God has been convicting me of in my own life lately.

Whatever is most important to us becomes our god.

Even good things, wonderful things can turn into sin when they become our ultimate. When this happens they have become our idol -they have become our god. Yes, even our
family. There is an enemy walking this world seeking to devour our souls. He will use any means possible to deceive us to trick us. He will even use good things such as our family - our mates - our children. I believe Satan has really been attacking home schooling families. Think about it. He knows how very important family is to those that home school (And please don't think I am suggesting it is not important to those that don't. That is not the point of this.), for most of us that is a big factor in why we chose home schooling. If Satan can trick us into making our family our god, we had better believe that he will!

Matthew 10:37 speaks very strongly about this very thing.
He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.

Is not worthy of God - did you catch that? Does that make your heart beat a little fast?

In the past I have put my focus on and pride in my family. According to the Bible though this is sin. I agree that Christian families need to be strengthened. I believe that there is a breakdown of godly families in America. But we must choose to use discretion and not elevate or prioritize our family more than God.

Mark 12:28-30
Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.


Luke 11:28 … blessed are those who hear the word of God, and observe it.

I don't know about you, but I do not want my children being raised thinking that our family is a priority over God. I desire for God to be my
first priority and for my children to see this. Now I am just working out how and what needs to change.
PhotobucketSubscribe in a reader

Don't forget about our fundraiser below!

7 comments:

Lara said...

Tiffany, I am really glad for your addressing this. I read some blogs that are focused on homemaking and it starts to make me wonder what the goal of all of it is. Sometimes a perfect home or husband or even kids start to seem like little gods.

Chrissy said...

I think this is tricky actually. What is a practical application of showing that I love God more than my family, especially when I believe He commands us to serve our husbands and nurture our children? For me, I hope it's a reflection of my love for God that I love my husband and children. I hope people say, "What a servant of the Lord she is, look how she is a Proverbs 31 woman!" Because really, my own self/flesh wants really badly to go to work in a big company and utilize my business/marketing degree and experience. But instead, I stay home, educate my children, and do what I can to encourage my husband. Is that not a reflection of my obedience and love for God? That I love Him actually MORE than all of it because I do that?

:o)

Heather said...

Great post, Tiffany! This is so true and just like you that verse Matthew 10:37 does make my heart beat faster....but, we need to listen to what God is saying. It's so hard to remember this sometimes.

Carrie said...

Wow, what a great reminder, Tiffany - this is a concept that I know I'm guilty of - especially with my children! They are my life, and of course since they're little, they do require lots of care, but I know at times I put my relationship with them or even my husband ahead of my relationship with God - I totally get what you were talking about! Thank you for this post!

Polly Irungu Photography said...

Check out my blog! I gave you an award plus I'm having a give away! :]

Anonymous said...

Update running total of adoption expensesss! I'm so curious!

Brandi said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. :) Your blog is adorable as well!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved