Blogging tips

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

.Day #1 of 7.

Three things that stand out to me from day #1:
  1. I wish, wish, wish, that I had a close-knit group of six girlfriends to be my "council" like Jen had, or to even do something crazy like this with me. Because my council of one - my hubby - is STRICT.
  2. This is not going to be easy.
  3. Coffee + me = perfection.
I just may dream about coffee tonight. I knew the food month for 7 would be one of the hardest for me, but...wow. And the thing is, as of yet anyway, it is not the limited food that has me gnashing my teeth. It's the no coffee. I cannot even remember the last time I went an entire day without it. It has not been pretty. My coffee press glares at me from the counter top and the four bags of Just Love Ethiopia Harrar beans (THAT WERE JUST DELIVERED TO OUR DOOR STEP!) are mocking me.

I just want a sip!

Pathetic. So, so pathetic. I am embarrassed to admit that my head is pounding, and I have even had on and off again shakes today with nausea. This morning at breakfast Jim and I needed something upstairs. We both looked at each other and grimaced. I finally said that I would go up and get it, and Jim muttered good, because I could not even fathom climbing up the stairs.

Yes folks it is just that bad!

I have learned something else today as well. The fruit of the Spirit like love, kindness, and mercy, well, they kind of fly out of the window when I do not have coffee surging through my veins. {blush} I was something of a mama bear today.

The spiritualness of day number one is a bit fuzzy. I was more focused on the mechanics - on what was (let's face it - wasn't) allowed. I am sure God has so much to teach me, and is teaching me something right this moment, but I am not seeing it clearly yet. He needs to keep stripping me away. And He will. Oh, He will this month. I am sure of it.

So our list changed a bit. Jim vetoed any flavor of Chobani yogurt, and insisted on plain. He is now regretting it after trying a spoonful at lunch. I laughed. Hard. But I hate it, too. I love yogurt. I just do not love plain (sour) yogurt. However, tonight I made it palatable by mixing peanut butter and yogurt together and dipping my apple slices in it. It worked for a dessert.

Here are our "7" groceries (somehow I missed the yogurt, though.). After I took this photo, I talked myself into making homemade bread. I asked Jim to buy bread because I was feeling too lazy to make it yesterday morning. But then I figured since we were eating no other chemicals this month, why eat it in the store bought bread.



030


031

This is how I mixed and matched my seven foods for today:
Breakfast: 2 slices of whole wheat toast with peanut butter
Lunch: 2 slices of whole wheat bread with a  mashed avocado/yogurt spread and 1/2 an apple
Dinner: Roasted Chicken and a sweet potato with an apple dipped in pb/yogurt for dessert
I will probably eat another apple before bed.

My head is truly pounding and my thinking is fuzzy, but I am welcoming this uncomfortableness. Maybe it will be what allows the Holy Spirit to really move and for me to notice. That seems to happen in my life - when my comfort, convenience, and normal are stripped away. And they were stripped away today. So I sit here waiting for whatever it is that God is orchestrating to happen in my life.

As Jen said so perfectly, Jesus may there be less of me and my junk and more of You and Your kingdom. I will reduce so He can increase.

I am doing this fast for a reason. Even if it hurts. Even if it means losing my beloved coffee for 31 days and eating plain (sour) yogurt.

(If you are really confused by what I am doing, check out my little explanation from yesterday or better yet read this written by the author of 7.)

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved