Blogging tips

Friday, November 25, 2011

.Thanksgiving Snapshots.

We had to stay home this Thanksgiving, as both Scotty and Cadi were sick, and Jamesy had an extremely drippy nose. (Today Scotty is finally fever free and acting more like himself. I am so thankful. He scared me. Cadi continues to run a fever on and off, but it seems as if she did not get the virus as severely as Scotty. My pinched nerve is almost gone.)

Photobucket

Jamesy wanted nothing to do with photographs yesterday - not even quick snapshots. Poor Cadi was feeling awful, and Scotty was just trying to be smiley and happy despite being sick

Photobucket

Although the photos are far from perfect this Thanksgiving - I never even really changed my camera settings - I just shot - I will cherish the photos from our day and remember our first ever Thanksgiving at home.

I have never roasted any kind of whole poultry. Jim does not care for it. On Thanksgiving he typically just eats the side dishes. On Wednesday morning, with Scotty still spiking a very high fever, we knew that we would be hunkered down at home. So Jim and I planned a menu -compromising as we both grew up with different foods on Thanksgiving. I was willing to forgo the turkey and bake a spiral ham, but Jim decided to let me try a turkey. He was brave!

I like poultry, but I am really squeamish about cooking it. When we first got married I would cook chicken breasts in my dishes, and then I would not be able to eat it because I had handled it. I would make a terrible farmer's wife! Well, yesterday was kind of like that, but I did manage to eat a bit. I cooked my turkey upside down after browsing the Internet for help. It made the breast meat really tender and moist. We liked it - even Jim.

Photobucket
Our ten pound fresh turkey.



Photobucket

My three turkeys.

I wanted one nice photo of the three of them in the outfits I had made. It was not to happen yesterday!

Photobucket


It was really nice to have a slow-paced day. We all snuggled on the couch and watched the whole Macy's Day Parade and ate my Mom's "num-nums" (my family's name for chex mix). Jim recorded it, so we started watching at 10 and fast forwarded the commercials. This worked great for the children.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


We ate our Thanksgiving dinner early afternoon.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Turkey
Gravy
Make ahead mashed potatoes
Broccoli casserole
Sweet potato souffle'
Southern cornbread stuffing
Pear Salad
Wassail
Cheese cake for dessert
(Cinnamon pull apart pumpkin bread for breakfast)

Jamesy fell into a turkey coma at the table. He out-ate us all at his first Thanksgiving! We got such a kick out of watching him eat. {grin}

Photobucket

In the evening Jim and I taught Cadi to play Uno. We had so much fun! You can tell from these photos she still was not feeling well.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We enjoyed homemade (alcohol free) wassail all through the day. It made our home smell sooo cozy.

Photobucket

Jamesy kept peeking over the table at us as we played Uno.

Photobucket

We ended our evening with NY Cheesecake.

All in all it was a wonderful, relaxing, and very different Thanksgiving. I think we will look back on it with fond memories.

Last night I made stock from the turkey carcass, and today I am going to make a creamy turkey noodle soup. If it turns out yummy, I will try to remember to post the recipe here.

I have so much to be thankful for today and always.

I am not sure why God's grace has poured out on me in the form of this life I live. I am overflowing with thankfulness.

So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. Col. 2:6-7

PhotobucketSubscribe in a reader

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved