Blogging tips

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

.It's {one of} the Most Wonderful Times of the Year.

It's no secret that I love autumn and all of the wonderful things that go along with autumn....like apples! I have a really busy week ahead of me, so I decided to republish a few of my favorite apple recipes. I am hoping to throw in a few new ones as the week progresses. If you have an apple recipe to share, please include it in the comments.

Last year I decided to roast my applesauce, and the results were perfect - not too sweet, perfectly spiced, caramelized apple goodness! I prefer my applesauce chunky. I am not a big fan of pudding and jellos because of their lack of substance. However, if you prefer a smooth applesauce simply put it through your Foley Food Mill after roasting it.

Photobucket



1.Gather your apples - you will need 4lbs (which is approximately 12 apples). As you can see I did not use the apples we picked. I used the "seconds" or "dropped apples" that we purchased. This is what my mom always did growing up. If there was a really rotten spot I just cut it out.

2.Wash, peel, core, and slice your apples. Place them in a deep roasting pan. Add 1/2 C. cider, a 1/2 C. water, 4 strips of lemon peel, 3-4 T. lemon juice, one cinnamon stick, 1/4 C. dark brown sugar, up to 1/4 C. white sugar (I used 1/8 C), 1/2 tsp. salt, and grated nutmeg to your taste.

Photobucket


Put the roasting pan in a 400 degree preheated oven uncovered. Roast for 1-2 hours depending on how dark and caramelized you prefer - stirring often. I roasted my first batch for about 1.5 hours and my second and third batch for about 2 hours.

Photobucket


This was the first batch.

Photobucket


I was surprised how little 3 batches made! I froze 5 Quart bags of sauce, and I will no doubt be making more again soon.

Photobucket

Click here for the printable recipe. (I do not remember which website I found the recipe on for this sauce, but the ingredients are not original to me, and the method was stolen from a different recipe than the ingredients.)

PhotobucketSubscribe in a reader

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved