Blogging tips

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

.A Moment Cherished.

It seemed like a normal night at dinner. We all sat around the dining room table, the room was softly lit and glowy from our Christmas lights. I made a simple dinner of spicy zucchini soup and whole wheat bread. Scotty was chomping away at his bread and slurping his soup, Jim and Cadi were playing a game of "I spy with my little eye". I was sitting contentedly watching my family , counting my blessings, and trying to catch a breath from what is becoming a very busy {stressful} Christmas season. I have been trying to purposefully not make it this way. Trying. Not succeeding.

While I was sitting there, I glanced across the table at Cadi, and my heart skipped a beat. I laid my spoon down on the table and I just stared. It was as if I had not noticed what the days melting into months melting into years had given me. I think I half expected to look up from my soup and see my beautiful toddler who we affectionately called Cadi Bug. My sweet baby girl with the oh, so round cheeks and chubby little body.

Photobucket

But that is not what I saw. I saw a stunningly beautiful girl - not a baby, not a toddler, but a little girl, with beautiful blond hair cascading over her shoulders in pigtails. She was tall and confident as she continued to play "I spy with my little eye" with her daddy.

She caught me staring at her, and held my gaze for a moment. Her look was wise beyond her years. "What's wrong Mommy?" she asked.

"How did you grow up so much?" I blinked as I looked at the highchair that she use to fill, now filled with a very messy, very bubbly toddler of a boy and looked back at her.

"You don't want me to grow up?" she asked. "Oh, I do, Baby" I said "I just didn't realize it was already happening." She smiled at me and giggled and held out four slim, not chubby at all, fingers showing me just how grown up she was. Then she went back to her little game with Daddy.

And I was reminded again at how fleeting and quick this life with my children is. I was reminded yet again that a moment cherished is worth so much more than a moment stressing over what is left to be done for Christmas, how much laundry is to fold on the couch, or the to do list left unchecked. I am thankful that my children are growing and healthy, but I am re purposing to not miss it, to be part of it, and to remember to cherish the moments. Every. Single. One.


9 comments:

Jena Webber said...

Oh how sweet! It happens too fast, doesn't it? Children are such a blessing from the Lord.

rameelin said...

This post made me cry. I'm emotional anyway, but I honestly feel the same way looking at Nora. She is so beautiful, but now growing up. Daniel always asks me, "how long will you call her a baby?" and I suppose the days are short. It seems as if time is being stolen from us as she grows. Thanks for sharing your moment. I cherish them with my whole heart and I love knowing that you do too.

Aunt Kathy said...

You bring tears to my eyes. I feel the same way. Keep it up Tiff. These days pass too quickly!!! Love, ~AK~

Mandi said...

good stuff....
growing up makes me so sad. so hard to let go.
tear...good stuff, Tiff!

Sarah said...

Oooh.... you're not supposed to make me tear up in my office! But you did. I relate to every single word you wrote. Every single one. My little 5 year old simply can't be 5 years old. And Christmas chaos is enveloping me, too. This weekend, in the midst of the craziness that was about to drown me, I sat down at the piano (against my better judgement) with my kids on either side and played and sang til I'd nearly lost my voice. Rusty as can be, but those praise songs never felt so good to sing -- it was just as I needed. A stolen moment, a moment cherished, with my 2 kiddos who are getting big right before my eyes.

Carrie said...

Waaaa...you made me cry! :( I think I'll go wake my son up now...while he's still a toddler... :)

Kelly said...

Hey!
You won an Engraved Euniques plague on my blog. Please e-mail me at kellyskornerblog(at)gmail.com and I will get you hooked up!

2Wired2Tired said...

Those moments get me every time. They just hit you out of the blue exactly as you described. It is so tough to watch them grow, but so exciting too.

Liz said...

You brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye. I know exactly what you mean. Sigh.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. You've got a beautiful family!

Liz
www.lovingthismomstuff.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved