Blogging tips

Saturday, June 23, 2012

.Shaun Groves.

Last night our church hosted a Shaun Groves concert. I have followed Shaun's blog for a few years (his is one of those blogs, that despite busyness, I always make time to read), have been one of his Compassion bloggers, and have worshipped with his cds. Jim and my favorite cd is his latest - Third World Symphony. When we first listened to it (with a lot of tears and nods of our head in agreement) every song resonated in our hearts, and his song Awake my Soul, actually inspired the tag line for my blog. I have always been drawn to Shaun's humbleness, kindness, and passion for children in poverty. The way he connects the third world to the first world is inspiring.

shaungroves

Our Ethiopia Team had the privilege of eating dinner with Shaun before the concert. There is nothing pretentious about Shaun. He is not a man of many words (My guess is that he is an introvert - especially witnessing his God-given gifts in storytelling through his music. I believe a lot of artists are introverted.), but when he speaks, people listen. Jim asked him, during our dinner, what words of wisdom would he give our team as we prepare to depart next week.

This is what he said.

Ethiopia doesn't need you. Do not go into the trip as a teacher or a leader, but rather as a learner and a servant. Jesus is already in Ethiopia, and He has been there for a long time. Christians have persevered for years in Ethiopia without your help.

He said a few more poignant things, but that is what struck my heart the most. I am following his wisdom and looking forward to all that God has to teach me through this trip.

I loved meeting Shaun and seeing that he is the same humble, kind person in real life as he is on his blog. He laughs easily and his gracious, gentle demeanor is magnetic.

The concert was Spirit filled. It was so refreshing to have someone else stand at the front of our church and say a lot of the same things that Jim has been trying to teach our faith family. A little confirmation to keep plugging away. Shaun emphasized that we were all saved from something (that being separation from God), but that his prayer was, we would all understand what it was that we were saved for. This has been something on my heart for awhile now, and I feel as if just in the last few years I am starting to understand that more and more. I am not sure if I completely know what it is that I have been saved for - what passionate purpose God is burdening my heart for - but I feel closer to knowing. And I rest in that for now.

God has been working on Jim and my heart in the recent years with trying to reconcile the wealth we have here in America with the poverty we have seen in Africa and know exists in third world countries. Poverty we cannot even imagine here in our own country. We have wrestled with knowing what God wants us to give up, in order to help other people live and advance God's kingdom. Gone are the days where we chase after the American dream and prosperity.  All we need and all we are asking for is enough. Praying we keep this in the center of our mind. It is so easy to live here and forget.

Enough
Words and music by Shaun Groves

Two things I beg of you

Before I die don’t refuse

Keep lies far from my lips

And liars far from my midst


And please, don’t give to me

Wealth or poverty

But God, I ask only for


Chorus:

Enough

O Enough

God, only

Just enough


Rain more than this day’s bread

And I may say I’m God instead

Take all my crumbs away

And I may rob and wound your name


Please, don’t give to me

Wealth or poverty

But God, I ask only for


Chorus:

Enough

O Enough

God, only

Just enough


Chorus

Two things I beg of you

Before I die don’t refuse

Amen


And He is enough. If all we have is Jesus, we have enough.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved