Blogging tips

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

.Perfect {Basil} Pesto.

It's what's for dinner. (What are you having?)

Photobucket


We typically do our grocery shopping together on our family day (Monday). Yesterday I could not resist the basil plant that was begging to jump into our cart. We all LOVE fresh basil pesto. For the amount that we eat during the summer, I should really plant some. I guess what I bought is plantable. But I have a terrible black thumb. Ack. We will probably continue to support our local famer's market!

Here is the pesto recipe that I make to please our taste. Pesto is usually made according to preference and taste, but if you have never made it, try my recipe as a starting point!

Photobucket



Here is what you need:

  • fresh basil leaves


  • almonds (or pinenuts or walnuts or just about any other nut!) - crushed


  • garlic cloves


  • olive oil


  • parmesan cheese (or romano) - grated


  • asiago cheese (I don't always use it. But I had it on hand.)


  • salt (I prefer sea salt)


  • pepper


  • Step One:

    Crush 1/2 Cup of almonds and then dry toast them over medium heat in a skillet - stirring so that they do not burn. You want them golden brown.

    Photobucket

    (Mine got a touch dark because I am in the process of potty training my middle boy, and we had to make several potty runs while these were toasting!)

    Step Two:

    Place two cups of packed fresh basil leaves in a food processor (or blender - I use this with success) and add toasted almonds on top.

    Photobucket

    Pulse for several moments.

    Step Three:

    Slowly add 3/4 Cup of olive oil to the basil and almonds. Pulse. Occassionally scrape the sides with a spatula. Pulse until well blended and smooth. Add three cloves of garlic - minced and pulse until blended in.

    Step Four:

    Add the 1/2 C grated cheese (I also added one slice of asiagio - I just crumbled it) and pulse again until blended. Then add a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper.

    And you will end up with perfect pesto! We love pesto best served over warm whole wheat pasta - or as a cold summer pasta salad.

    Photobucket

    This will store for about a day sealed tightly in the fridge. To keep it from browning pour a slight layer of olive oil over the top before sealing.

    What is your favorite summer recipe or meal?
    Photobucket


    0 comments:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
     
    Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved