Blogging tips

Friday, August 27, 2010

.Thoughts From a Recovering School Teacher.

A strange title. I know. But the more I dive into this home school stuff, the more I realize how my degree in elementary education and my few years experience teaching in Christian schools can be such a hinderance to homeschooling. I am having to retrain myself and unschool some of my thinking. Last year was our first official year homeschooling. I did preschool with Cadi. We had the best time and were both sad to see the year close. It wasn't a perfect year, I made mistakes along the way, and I hope and pray that from every mistake that I have made that I have grown.

On Monday, my firstborn, my only daughter, will begin her official school career. Sure, last year we were homeschooling and did preschool everyday, and I was detailed and planned and scheduled. But it seems as if with kindergarten there is no. going. back. That's it. It's onward forward, and before I know it she will be receiving her high school diploma. {gasp} (Remember - life is just a vapor?!) I contemplated doing another year of preschool, but Cadi turns five in a few weeks and she is more than ready for kindergarten. (Even if Mommy isn't!) Physically I have everything ready. Except for her chalkboard. We painted a rectangle on the school room wall last night and filled it in with chalkboard paint. We have had the paint for over three years! {grin} Now we just need to put up some trim board around it to give it a more finished look. Hopefully we can do that tomorrow. The last few days and this weekend I am focusing on preparing my heart. I never, ever want to take this incredible gift of educating my children, that I have been trusted with, for granted.

While reading today I came across these words:
A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher. Luke 6:40

What a sobering thought to know that my children will eventually become what I am. I am my children's standard for Christian maturity. Wow. Whatever goals I set for Cadi (and Scotty!) for this new school year, I must also set for myself. Whatever I want to be on their hearts must be on my heart first.

I had planned for this post to be all about my curriculum, my schedule, my plans, our projects, etc. And maybe that will come, but this this is much more important than any of the above. All true education begins and ends with God. It is more than just imparting Bible knowledge to my children, it is helping them develop an authentic relationship with their Creator through His Word. How do I impart that? The biggest way is for me to live out an authentic relationship with my Creator through His Word. I want to train my children's hearts to seek God and His truth, but first I have to make certain mine is trained and retrained and trained some more. Of course I desire for Cadi to learn the basics this year, and she will - I have no doubt.

But above all else my prayer is that she would love the Lord her God with all of her heart, soul, and might, and that she would love her neighbor as herself. If she learns nothing else in kindergarten this year, than our year will have been a success.

PhotobucketSubscribe in a reader

8 comments:

Christine said...

Hi Tiffany,
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love your blog! My good friend just brought her baby girl home from India 3 weeks ago. And my other good friend just started her journey about 2 months ago to bring a daughter home from Ethiopia. I just love that! I am actually working on a fundraising post for her.

I am now following your blog. And I'll be back!

Anonymous said...

I am inspired by your homeschooling posts. I currently homeschool my boys and love it. Your statement "Whatever I want to be on their hearts must be on my heart first." realy touches me as I am working on more character training with my boys this year.

Grace~The Mommy On the Bus said...

Tiffany! I just got done writing a post similar to this about the "harm" my little education in elementary ed did--in regards to my homeschooling! So, I was relieved to read your post and see I"m not alone in that!

Great post here...so excited to hear more about your year!!!

Linsey said...

What a wonderful post and wonderful verse! I totally admire you for homeschooling your kids and pray you have a fabulous year!

Anonymous said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You ~Ron

Bethany said...

Happy school year to you and Cadi! Praying for you guys as you start off tomorrow! Love you!

jkseevers said...

Tiffany,
Great post. You'll do great homeschooling... I honestly look at it as more about waking up each day, surrendering to The Lord and being willing to be used to mold and shape our kids for Him. We're beginning our 4th year of homeschooling, and we look at it more as a "boot camp for life". We're trying to taking this amazing lifetime opportunity to build our kids character for Jesus. Of course, there is Reading, Writing and Arithmetic that go along with it:)Blessings to you as you begin this amazing journey!
Katie

Precision Quality Laser said...

Hi Tiffany,
Thank you for commenting on my blog :) I haven't written on it in such a long time, so it was nice to see a comment!

This post is exactly what I needed to hear today. What I want to be on their hearts must first be on mine. I am going to chew on that for a while! ;)

Your blog is lovely, but what is more lovely is your obvious devotion to the Lord. Thanks for being an inspiration and reminding me of what is truly important.

Many blessings!

Mrs. Querido

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved